Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: MD FT101A vs. Fanfare FT-1A

I think the Fanfare deserves the bashing it gets. I'll admit that I didn't try the balanced connections but it is rare that a well designed piece of gear will sound outstanding on its balanced outputs yet sound absolutely dreadful on its RCA's. I can accept that the balanced outputs might sound a little better but if what I heard from the RCA's is any indication, the sound of this tuner places it more in the category of upscale portable transistor radios from Target, not a coveted piece for the audiophile. Just my opinion based on what I heard compared to other less expensive tuners that I own.

P.S. I listened to several stations on the Fanfare while comparing its sonics to my Adcom and Magnum tuners tuned to the same stations. In all cases, relative to the other tuners, the Fanfare had a compressed sound (poor dynamic range) and a warm tone (due to Missing in Action treble). Some might call this 'smooth'. I call it rolled off MIA treble! ;-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.