Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: MD FT101A vs. Fanfare FT-1A

One thing to note about the Fanfare -This tuner seems to receive a lot of bashing, but if you have not auditioned it through the balanced outputs, you will never know the real performance capabilities of this tuner. Most folks refer to having tried it through the two sets of outputs on the back of the tuner ... well, there are actually three sets of outputs:

1. low-level analog
2. high-level analog
3. balanced

Having recently moved to NYC and having previously owned the FT-1A (and fortunately most of the great analogue tuners about which we always discuss) I always thought is was just "OK" until, when a few weeks ago, I picked up one of the older FT-1 units and tried it via the balanced outs - into my Ayre AX-7 integrated with Gallo Reference IIIs.

I was motivated to do so after coupling my Ayre CD player and Ayre integrated together via their balanced connections and finding much better performance as the result. I then recalled that some of the earlier reviews mentioned that the Fanfare was better through the balanced outs.

Results - MUCH BETTER PERFORMANCE - all aspects of performace were enhanced. The reported weaknesses of this tuner were very much minimized - better soundstaging, much more extended at the top and not compressed.

*A note and a warning - IF the station is broadcasting a good signal (and there are not many), the tuner sounds as good as any I have heard. Unfortunately, it is not especially forgiving of poor broadcast signals. It seems that most vintage analogue tuners will sound "better" for day-to-day listening. Different design goals? Perhaps, as it does seem that the Fanfare is designed more to be a professional device that will also be used in the home market ... rather than the other way around.

Those positives said, the tuner is still very expensive new and the parts quality is definately not audiophile approved ... and these are probably the biggest reasons we all beat up on it (face facts - as audiophiles, most of us want the world's best sound for less than anyone else could have paid to achieve it!) :>)

Yet, even with the above noted, I am still sending the tuner to Don Scott for his evaluation and potential upgrades.

A fun and crazy hobby (and hobbiest) to be sure!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.