Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

they're typically pretty rugged

odd that yours would have defecated the bed, as they say.

Certainly could've been a static discharge, but the fact you've got lights suggests (to me) it wasn't a lightning strike.

One thing that does come to mind (and I know nothing about this particular tuner). Most FM MPX stereo tuners have an interstation muting circuit. It will "squelch" the audio if there is not signal above a certain threshold. Perhaps you have the muting ON and insufficient signal strength to unmute the tuner? Switch the muting off if you can (or switch to FM MONO, which usually disables muting) and tune it. See if you get anything (e.g., the "whoosh" of FM 'static').

Is the antenna (still) properly connected to it? if, e.g., it's 300 ohm twinlead, make sure the two 'legs' of the twinlead aren't shorted at the antenna connectors on the tuner.

The waning popularity of FM has made tuners (especially more modern/digital and mediocre ones) pretty much a buyers' market. You can probably pick up a decent one (locally) for less than repair will cost for the M-D if there's really something wrong with it.

S2000

all the best,
mrh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • they're typically pretty rugged - mhardy6647 18:05:45 12/12/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.