Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Hi Mark

Since you have the manual for the AF-6, you're a step ahead. I just took a quick look at an on-line manual for the AF-6. Some of the numbers on the schematic were somewhat blurry, so keep that in mind with what I'm about to say, and double check your schematic. Perhaps someone else has a clean copy and can chime in too.

If I had an AF-6, I would replace C84 and C85, listed as 500µF, 25V caps, and C86, listed as a 250µF, 25V cap. These caps appear to be the main electrolytic smoothing caps in the power supply, and I'd be replacing them simply because of their age. Note the polarity of C85.

It also looks like R95, R96, and R97 are B+ power supply resistors (again, these numbers are somewhat blurry), and if they are, I'd change them to a film resister (if they're currently carbon comp) to quiet the power supply down.

In the output section, I'd certainly replace C69 and C72, both 1µF, 25V output coupling caps, which are directly in the signal path. If I could fit film caps, great, but I'm betting there's not room. If not, I'd try Elna Silmacs. Some don't care for them, but none other than Nelson Pass has high praise for their sound as a coupling cap. Nichicon ES would be another option I'd consider, if space is a consideration and you don't care for the Silmacs.

Also in the output signal path are R71, and R79, both 1000 Ω. You might consider replacing them (assuming they're carbon comps), but some like the added warmth they bring.

One good thing is that if AM reception is your main goal, according to the manual you can align the AM section yourself, without instruments. Consult your manual for full instructions.

This is where I'd start, then go from there if I had any other issues. Good luck with it.

As it says under the header at the top of this Asylum, "Thank God for the radio!"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.