Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Amber Model 7 Issue / Bad Cap or ???

I recently purchased an Amber Model 7 at a bankruptcy auction. The reviews were good so I figured this would be a good, inexpensive buy!

The AM section works great but the FM section does not work at all. If I attempt to scan stations automatically, the tuner quickly locks up around 93.1 -- I have to turn off the tuner to do anything else. I can manually scan the "dial" but do not get the hint of a station and the signal strength indicators do not even blink (they work fine for AM).

I've replaced the fuses and applied contact cleaner to all the switches. No luck. On examining the board, I found one capacitor that looks suspect: it's rounded on top and the color of the top has shifted blue (please see photo). I'm not sure whether this is cause or coincidence.

Can an expert venture whether this possible capacitor issue is sufficient to cause the issues that I've described or is there something else wrong? Should I try to repair the tuner or just try to get a few bucks "for repair or parts" on fleabay?

Thanks!!
Bob Carr

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Amber Model 7 Issue / Bad Cap or ??? - Apogee Bob C 15:10:50 09/17/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.