Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Try asking at the TIC / their Yahoo Groups site called FM Tuners

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/

which has some options in the top LH Corner which will take you to the Yahoo site, and you might need to join.

Is it a stereo tuner? If it's not I'd counsel adding a solid state FM-MPX module kit.

Valve FM front ends tend to need a LOT more signal to go quiet and fully limit, and then sound as musical and clear as they can. They are also even less able to deal with multi-path (reflections from hills, towers, tower blocks etc) on the signal. No tuner made can reject multi-path.

So, over and above the servicing and alignment yours might need, you will also need to find where the transmitters - of the stations you really want*- are on the map in relation to where your house is and the topography between there and here. And draw on a map the compass bearings to each desired transmitter. ? FM just is directional, there it is.

You will also need to get a directional antenna - one with gain - IE one with a boom and at least 3 elements, and perhaps a rotator.

If you find that they are all within a small arc of compass bearings you may not need the rotator. Perhaps just two antennas aimed \/ apart a bit.

I would also suggest that you go to the Asylum's FAQ's here on this site and find and read the article about Rhombic wire antennas and perhaps get back to me.

Finally, it really does depend on how much you love Free Music (FM) and how many stations are close by * which also actually love music, still. There aren't many left in Nth America!

And, how much time and effort, and some money you are willing to invest in that.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

Edits: 04/14/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Try asking at the TIC / their Yahoo Groups site called FM Tuners - Timbo in Oz 22:44:38 04/14/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.