Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

New FM antenna

Needed a dedicated band III VHF for DTV, too. And for DAB which is decoded by the TV set. I will need to run that signal around the house.

And at last - a dedicated FM antenna with 10db gain. The only two stations I want are in full limiting, and - as I expected - NO overload on the one with the big transmitter. At which the antenna is pointed.

The FM-only item replaces an ancient wide-band VHF job. That was an Antennacraft 185, covering top half of band I VHF, all of II, and bottom half of band III.

Didn't do the install, but he did re-use the mast I built back in the 1990s - sleeved galvanised tubing, and heavy. He also strengthened the three stub mounts. Given that the weather is getting wilder, an overkill mast can't be a bad thing.

Barring the mast and mounts, the entire antenna system and cabling, combiner, splitters and cables had just about had it.

We now have entirely separate runs for FM and TV - quad shield 'RG6' with a solid-copper centre conductor.

Must take all the aluminium scrap in to the dealer, soon.

The ring bolts and ropes? They are for the 'random wire AM antenna' which used to run to a neighbour's chimney. I will re-install it, soon. Once the Canada Maple gets trimmed back - in May at the end of Autumn down here. "Yes dear, I will get help, and I will be careful!"

It's tuned / resonated via a tapped ferrite-core coil (handmade) and an old vane capacitor, to give me AM 666 and 846 - at 9khz spacings down here. This is worth the effort IMO if you have a wide audio-bandwidth AM stage and stations that are worth it.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - New FM antenna - Timbo in Oz 13:33:54 02/04/16 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.