Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: Harman Kardon HK500 Tuner HK 500

"Nothing on fmtunerinfo either. Little info exists anywhere."

Apologize for bringing up such an old thread. There is little on this fine budget tuner because it truly did not excel in sound or for dxing purposes. Nor were there a zillion of them made. What it did excel at during its brief history were build quality and stunning good looks. I have owned a boatload of tuners over the years, but to me none of them came close the the brushed alumininum and white dial of this classic sleeper. During the time when I used this one a bit, my system was maybe "upper midfi" with a Hafler preamp, Electron kinetics EAGLE 7A amp, AR9 speakers, and my other 2 tuners at the tiome were a Sumo Charlie and McIntosh MR78, using the antennacraft fm10 on a rotor. Its impossible to compare it to the Sansuis, Kenwoods, Magnum Dynalabs, etc I have owned since, but I will say this, it was not as sensitive as the Sumo or McIntosh, but if the signal was good enough, it always sounded better than the Sumo, and depending on the source material, the MR-78 as well. None of these tuners had been modded, recently aligned, etc so who knows for sure, BUT the dang thing sounded pretty darn good! Maybe i got lucky and got a good one, but as i eventually owned 2 of them, and couldn't discern between them...

Back in the day before the weird wide web, I sold both the Sumo and McIntosh, as well as one of my HK 500s via a trading periodical published by Walt and Lennice. (*****mart) I still have 1 HK500 and it would never bring enough money to get me to part with it. I doubt its as good as any of the tuners I have left at dxing, and without sitting down and spending a few days listening, probably doesnt beat many there either. But its more than OK in every category, the tuning knob is perfectly weighted, its damn good lookin, and it was a bargain at its original price, as it is today in the secondary market, considering what you have to pay for one today doesnt buy much. Its the perfect bedroom, workbench, secondary tuner. just my humble opinion, your mileage may vary.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Harman Kardon HK500 Tuner HK 500 - halvis 19:21:56 11/02/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.