Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

not here, FM is wonderful

There are still many great cities for FM reception in the US.

And 98% of the benefit of a roof mounted antenna can be had by selecting the limited number of models still available to buy. As the FM antenna gets bigger and bigger, with more elements, the gain and other benefits diminish very quickly over say a 6 element FM antenna. Of course, almost all the advantage comes from being on the roof, and on a rotor.

Here in my location near Albany NY I get 5 college stations, 3 are decent. I get 6 additional public stations, all but one in stereo, and one of those plays alternative / folk / rock. Two of them play classical all day, and two more play jazz at night. All over the air stations. I regularly hear live concerts broadcast.

On the commercial side, I've noticed less commercials, and many stations changing formats on an almost yearly or every few years basis. What was there a year ago, or even 6 months ago may have changed for the better.
I also noticed less interest in buying/selling everything audio in general, but it seems to be a lot better now than it was in 2008/2009.

There may have been a little bubble for FM tuners, probably due in some part to our launch of www.FMTunerinfo.com site in late 2001. This really opened up a lot of interest and information on the subject, which before that, was relatively sparse.

But, than again, people forget what the tuner market was like 5 years before that. You could buy top tuners that were unknown to most in 1996 for 1/3 of what they sell today. Sansui TU-X1s sold for no more than 400-500., for instance...
Bob

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.