Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Thank you Allen

If the amp would have been marked "6L6GC only" that would be one thing. But as far as we can tell it was shipped with 5881s. Obtaining info about these amps hasn't been easy. About all they will say is return it to the factory and we will be glad to take care of it....for a fee....but we can't tell you anything because of the high voltages involved. Gee all we wanted to know was if it was okay to use a 12BH7 instead of a 12AT7 for the long tailed pair and if this amp was able to operate in triode mode as it doesn't have a switch. The sole source of info seems to be VTL's little black book which is rather vauge and as Henry said seems to....shall we say....stretch reality a bit.

It puts one in a difficult place to make a post like this....visions of lawyers and slander....so I am glad to have someone with knowledge and experience jump out there and state what appears to be the obvious with regards to voltages and ratings.

I will consider cathode bias as we can afford the reduction in power (but I do think the owner likes to check and fiddle with the bias). I don't suppose you know the current rating of the PT? It would be nice if I could drop a choke in front of the first cap and run triode strapped class A. The owner has just bought Lowthers. So if the PT can supply the current I am sure I can make it much better than what must be a close to class B amp. Hopefully the OPTs are good enough to make this a worthwhile undertaking (please tell me if I am crazy).

Russ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.