Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: I wanna tube! Please advise

Jenya:

"I don't know if 'designing' a better amp would be an objective. Afterall, as far as I understand, all tube circuitry theory was pretty much complete by 1950-60. Not much you can invent there. However, ending up with a better amp than you would get by assembling a kit is a very achievable goal. As I mentioned above, there are few variable that you can play with to end up with a better sounding design."

Hehe....this is really was I was trying to say :)

"When current passes through a first stage tube there will be a voltage drop across it. This voltage is applied to the grid of the next stage just like the one that was applied to the grid of the firts tube from your CD player."

This still seems weird to me, though I'm sure it will all make sense very soon. For right now, it seems like I'm amplifying a signal, and then using an AMPed signal just to run a grid on another amp...it doesn't seem doing this would server much purpose...that book better get here soon! This is driving me nuts.

As for the headphone amp, my original goal was indeed to build an amp for the cans....but, I started to think maybe I should just go ahead and do a preamp since there didn't seem like there'd be much more to it. The preamp would give me the added ability to hear the 'tube amp' through some speakers. Only thing is, pretty much all the preamp circuits I see don't accomodate a headphone output. I *think* it should simply be a matter of finding the right OPT with a secondary to run the cans. Or is there another (better) way of doing it?

BTW, your answers to my other questions were terrific...thank you VERY much.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.