Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Looks like we DON"T have a preamp problem...

To any who have been following this thread to see how it ends, Grover was kind enough to march me through my whole layout step by step on the phone until we found the problem. It was the bloomin' EL 34! Grover says that most likely it shorted out when the B+ voltage hit the plate before the filaments had a chance to warm things up. It would run for awhile then shut down. Once it cooled down you could start it up again and run it for awhile longer. It about drove us nuts until Grover had me put the DVM on the plate of the EL34 and watch it while it was running. When it quit the voltage on the plate spiked up, indicating that it wasn't drawing current anymore. At his suggestion I have now installed a separate 6.3 supply for the filaments that will be turned on first.
Bottom line is this is one great sounding amp! Once I got it running I just kept trying one CD after another and they all sounded great. I can't wait to hear it in stereo. Now will come the longer process of deciding just how to turn this into a real amp instead of a bread board. Lots of work and fun ahead. Many thanks to Grover for both the design and helping me get it operational. You're a good man Grover!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Looks like we DON"T have a preamp problem... - Vinnie 13:58:53 12/28/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.