Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: rectified cathodes and "ground"

Hi Pete,

Ah yes...I drew myself a little schematic of what I had proposed and now see what you are referring to. It was seeming more complex in my head...I was driving at the time.

I my case, since I'm using the voltage drop of the rectifier to bring the cathode to a higher potential, there might be some benefit to moving the "ground" of the driver section up too, although I really can't think what/why right now. I would still avoid the consequences of the usual resistor/cap cathode combo that you speak of, but then the rectifier may bring it's own sonic problems to the table. That may be even more pronounced because it's now part of the driver section too.

I'm still unclear about how this might affect the AC loading of the driver tube. Since I have no cap from the cathode of the output tube, there is no direct return for AC. This is where the input tubes grid and cathode would rest...elevated at a DC potential via the rectifier tube. Would the rectifier combine the positive and neg swings of the audio waveform as it does in a 60HZ powersupply, giving you only positive swinging ripple? The bigger question for me is if that would make a difference since it's then connected to the powersupply ground?

BTW, does any know how much of a voltage a 6D22 or 6DM4 drops?

Thanks for your input,
Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.