Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: I wanna tube! Please advise

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/et.html will get you to the Bottlehead products page. You might want to consider the Foreplay along with the AV-8s. It's a pretty quick kit to build and then there's the satisfaction of having built your own rig. With your background, the consturction should be a snap and then you have the fun of trying the different flavors of tubes that can be run in this little gem. It's hard to imagine changing the voicing of your entire system for $10-40! Something that's nearly nearly impossible to do with the large scale integration in mass-produced SS gear.

About the only way I can put the sound of a Directly Heated Triode running in the Single Ended mode, like the Bottlehead amps, into words is to say, organic and immersing. I think there is a common misconception that tube gear, particularly triode amps, sound a little slow compared to their Solid State counterparts. In some cases, yes. There is poorly designed or built tube gear...I know because I have built a few dogs myself. But it most certainly is not always the case. Maybe someone else can shed more light on this than my vocabulary allows...as I am a photographer, not a writer...

Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.