Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Amity PP 300B vs. SET

Vince,

Fantastic speakers by the way. On the state of the art side with a pair of subs if you can swing it. Anyway, I also have built the North Creek Okara II's and use them with some modified Paramours from Bottlehead. One thing is for sure, your room size will make a difference. My room is rather small (9 by 9 by 7 feet) so I can get away with a mere 3.5 watts easily although at least 10 watts will be ideal, and according to Lynn, 60 watts would be more than ideal. Remember, I have heard that Lynn does have a large, large room compared to others and he likes to listen his music clear with non truncated dynamic peaks. We all want that I'm sure. We just need to adjust our demands/needs/wives/money.

So how big is your room? If its reasonable, say 12 by 15, I would *try* Doc Bottleheads Parabees and see where that takes you. I know it will work but at what volumes do you listen to? Lynn's Amity PushPull's will undoubtedly work, but they are expensive to build and nobody is holding your hand through the process. A Parabee is conservatively rated at 8 watts, is plenty gutsy, and can be modded to your delight. You can even build a separate power supply chassis and experiment with tube rectification easily, after building it stock first and listening to it. I know Ron Welborne is also coming out with his new 15-20 watt monoblocks he once had (the Apollo's) but a cheaper version of it. You might want to look into that too. Transcendent has a kit out right now that is an OTL with 15-40 watts depending on configuration ranging in price from $1K to $2K.

Those are a couple options for you...
www.bottlehead.com
www.welbornelabs.com
www.transcendentsound.com
www.aloha-audio.com
Anand.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.