Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Amity PP 300B vs. SET

I personally think that push-pull triode amps are something really special that can work better with "real world" speakers than most SET amps, particularly speakers with more a extended bass that may need a bit more control than a SET typically provides. I recently completed a transformer coupled push-pull 2A3/300B amp, though not of Lynn Olson's design, and feel that it has a clarity, control, and better extension on both extremes over my 300B SETs, with my speakers (Aria 5Rs). Lynn Olson's designs are very interesting, and should prove to be great sounding amps.

That being said, and given your novice status with regard to DIY tube construction, I would really recommend either a kit, or working a bit with your current stable of EL34 amps, just to get the hang of working with tube circuits. One thing you may want to try is a triode conversion of the output stage, and experiment with different driver stages, parts, and power supply tweaks. Building an amp from scratch, particularily a more complicated design, may be moving too quickly. There is alot to learn, about soldering, parts selection, component layout, etc. After that, it is hard to beat building a SET amp (probably a 300B amp given your speakers, don't even think about an 845) as a first scratch project. Getting that together and working well will teach you alot, and will give you the confidence to plan and complete a more complicated design. The old adage, "you must walk before you run" is *very* applicable to tube amp construction.

Just some simple words of advice from someone else on the path.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Amity PP 300B vs. SET - David McGown 19:14:59 10/28/01 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.