Tube DIY Asylum

RE: You need a lot of time on your hands but my invention is rewarding

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Tube DIY Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

I screwed down an aluminum baking pan, those 2/$3 cheapos you get for the annual roast or Turkey, at each corner of the deck railing. 2 pans, no waiting.

Every morning I put a handful of Sunflower seeds in each pan, then sit down and enjoy my coffee. Soon the pair of Chickadees arrive followed by a quintet of Tufted Titmouses

It's a bit like the mountain top scene in Encounters as the more ponderous Cardinals arrive simultaneously with the Towhees who all rest themselves in the pans, chewing away in contrast to the nervous little birds who dart in then up to a tree branch to crack the seed.

So I'm the Squirrel Lifeguard, once in the morning and again later in the day. Also, the small amount of seed I put out feeds the birds leaving little behind for a pair of Squirrels that do pillage the neighborhood. A $10 10-lb bag of seed lasts months.

They're also self-cleaning. Due to the position of the pans and their 3" sides, any wind above about 8 MPH blows the hulls right out of the pans. For rainy days I have a suet cage which is almost, but not quite, like the seed pans, Squirrel proof.

Follow Ups: