Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

DIY vs. Commercial you can do better.

I am not sure if bickering is the correct term. It seems to me that there exists here, a base of very tube savvy individuals who can call up information regarding amplifier circuits and tube operating points as second nature. While the rest try to follow along. I think that it is wonderful that they are willing to share their hard earned knowledge with those who are seeking answers to problems. And speaking for myself, i find that while build threads don't seem to have a high priority here as on some other forums, but that doesn't bother me. But i find that whenever i do have a problem with a project, that the inmates give their thoughts and solutions in a manner that is courteous and friendly and sincere. And to me advice that is given in that manner is hard to come by.
But on to practical matters, If you are good at building and soldering then a diy'er can make a better amplifier. Without an accountant to make sure you are only spending X amount of time for each amp and X amount of dollars for each part one can do a much better job. Almost all commercial amps use circuit boards. This is so there are no mistakes and robots can assemble the cb in just a minute at very little cost. The early kit built amps from the "golden age" of tube audio serve as examples of how to build an amp with point to point wiring. There are different ways or styles of wiring an amp. There is the military style with neatly bundled wiring, there is "The Fisher" style which is neat but unbundled, There is the Scott style, not so neat, and the post 1960s oriental style which can be described as an explosion at the "lo mein factory". And the funny thing is they all work, more or less.
As far as posting about your amp projects, Check my last post "fixed problem fixed" which shows my last amp that i just finished building. And i am looking forward to more build stories from other inmates. cheers, Dak

Edits: 01/20/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.