Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: A challenge to you all

Thank you for having the courage post Steve... not that I would have thought you were ever lacking in courage. :)

I agree, generally. I'd like to see more photos of others' builds and some narrative of how and why builders went about their builds as they did. Actually, I'd like more narrative similar to what was found in Sound Practices. Jeff is one of few - perhaps the only - persons attempting this at present, but frankly, that skews the available information and I am not comfortable with...

Your post is the most recent, and most significant, in giving me a kick up the proverbial arse to get moving on my next build - I have been procrastinating for 18 months... not that I think I have heaps to contribute... more that I can learn and share.

Now, to star grounding. I don't use it. It may be okay in some applications - and it is relatively fool-proof in most cases due to the separate wire runs - but seems not the ideal way to do 0V signal grounding for tube amps. I prefer a multiple star approach because it keeps local current loops short and separate when done well. But, done well is critical - if you stuff it up, you'll get noise.

BTW, I have only built one amp and it has been relatively silent, except a while back when a source was not connected and I put my hand near the input tube... the issue was an unshielded cable running near the output TX - fixed now. But, the amp otherwise, with AC filaments, has noise at circa 2mV or less, depending on the tube used. I recall posting the build under the moniker rcdaniel... he was a shit, so I changed the moniker, BTW.

I am looking forward to my next build and posting the pix - it is great to share and great for others (and me!!!) to learn.

Sorry for the lack of proof-reading; work calls - gotta run.

Cheers,
Ray
"Confusion of goals and perfection of means seems to characterise our age." Albert Einstein

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: A challenge to you all - 91derlust 23:39:16 01/19/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.