Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Use a 01A Gen 2 and add gain in the preamp

There's no doubt in my mind that Ale Moglia's Gen 2 01A preamp is the best single stage I've ever built or heard. It also has filament bias, which is very close to your desire for a clean DC battery supply. In filament bias you use a Rod Coleman reg (see Lyrima) for the filament, and I'd use a choke input supply to that.

If you need more gain, then get it from your preamp. Alternatively, use the Gen 2 preamp and then use the same gyrator circuit with a 4P1L as your driver stage. Again in filament bias. The 4P1L will operate at 25mA so more drive capability. You won't find anything more transparent and detailed than this. If you want "warmth" I don't know what to say to you - the last thing I'd ever do to a sound system is add "warmth". If the sound is detailed, transparent and natural with good timbre to acoustic instruments, then that's the goal of reproduction in my book.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Use a 01A Gen 2 and add gain in the preamp - andy evans 02:33:45 01/18/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.