Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: LOL, Didn't last long, under two months

LOL, Hiah !! You are "Preaching to the Choir" !!!

I have, over a decade ago, custom designed, and had Heyboer in Michigan build for me power transformers such as you discuss. Typically weighed 18 pounds and 18 Ohms end to end, maybe 840 VCT, or whatever was needed.

In 2016 - 2017, I am satisfied with 90 Ohms end to end, and rated at four times the current capability being used. The "effective" DCR is quite good enough. Such a power transformer can follow initial transients, and musical decays, more accurately, better sounding to my ear, that my old always - loafing, "ten-times HOGs".

When you use a shared supply, it adds a romantic artifact to the music, that is NOT there originally, and it may give you a " warm and fuzzy " feeling. Some VERY good designer friends of mine have heard it this way, and gotten suckered- in. IMHO, as of 2016, the " shared " power transformer is a incorrect design choice.

A single power transformer for each channel is the ONLY thing " I" can now live with. Its more honest.

If the system is not SOTA overall ( electronics, wiring, efficient speakers ), separate power transformers WILL and can sound thinner, because the added artifacts of a shared power transformer are missing. Overall, I gain more listening enjoyment, feel it is a far more honest listening experience, especially as the music program material gets complex, with a GOOD separate supply for each channel.

Unlike most listeners, ALL my filters to the Finals are L1/C1/L2/C2, and chokes are under ten Ohms in DCR. Just today, I was on the line with Hammond Manufacturing Company Engineers, and discussing a 6 Ohm at 1 A. rated choke of theirs, which they will be measuring additionally for me, this week. ( 159ZA )

Chokes are the driven passive elements, and as such, are more important ( than active power transformers ) to be low in DCR. Lead in and lead out wiring on chokes, actually, all magnetics, are critical, needs to be carefully executed, NOT like you see it today.

So, today, I consider a shared supply to be euphonic, but dishonest. That is clearly expressed, isn't it.

By the way, the reason I am going from Dual Mono, to Two Monoblocks, is simple. A monoblock is FAR easier to lay-out properly, parts, fields and space wise, for optimal audio performance.

Have fun, I am !!

Jeff

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.