Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: an interesting journey

@megasat16 you said:
"Most good quality SMPS has good quality filter circuit built in and line noise isn't much of the problems.

It is the Lighting transformers that usually has the line noise problems."

I understood this as implying there's mains noise that gets filtered out with SMPS, but not filtered out with electronic transformers.
Therefore I have assumed you are accusing the mains noise for the hum-buzz etc issue.

Now I understand that you are actually stating your preference for SMPS over electronic transformers. I cannot agree with that based on the following:
1. I haven't experienced any hum buzz issues related to the application of electronic transformers. My results could be summarized as black and silent background. On the contrary, a car battery proved to be noisy, and all DC regulators I tried were noisy, too.
2. Even the SMPS option is bulky and heavy in comparison with the electronic transformer (modified by adding caps and changing the turns ratio on the output transformer). This comes as no surprise, just like the fact that electronic transformers are more energy efficient and disperse less heat.
3. Last but not least, SMPS is DC. This implies different operation with direct heated cathodes (difference in potential between the two ends), and all the subsequent sonic differences mentioned. I would like to skip the discussion about AC vs DC, as the "too detailed" vs "muffled" argument is a matter of taste and habit. Tastes and habits change but "de gustibus..." should be a nice civilized solution.

On the other hand, all electronic transformers for halogen light bulbs are not created equal and the end result is likely to depend on the model used.
Additionally, the math and skill might prove challenging to many, and measurements are not as easy as with any kind of DC. This doesn't stop me, but might deter others. My motivation would be rewarding sonic result and overall simplicity (and size) of this solution - not to mention the price.

http://rh-amps.blogspot.com/

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.