Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: stranded wire????

Q1: I don't know what the difference in surface area would be, but I don't think the calculation applies to this situation. Does it matter to you that all the strands in "stranded wire" are in contact with one another, throughout the length of the wire? Wouldn't this largely negate, in conducting terms, any benefit due to a larger surface area of the stranded wire, if one were to calculate the surface area of each strand and multiply by the number of strands, assuming your choice in stranded wire is similar in total gauge to 10-ga solid core? I am no EE, but I do not believe stranded wire behaves as if it were a bundle of separated conductors. For that you want Litz wire, where strands are insulated from one another along the length of the wire. OR, you could use several strands of thin gauge solid core in parallel.
Q2: See my response to Q1. In addition, my reading tells me that contact among strands in stranded wire, silver-coated or not, can create undesirable diodic effects along the wire. (This too is theory, so subject to criticism and analysis that I am not qualified to evaluate, but it makes sense.)

Teflon coated, you say. So, how are you going to use this wire in a fashion similar to what Xaudio did with the copper pipe? You'd need to strip away the teflon coat in order to solder your grounds to it. That was my point in my earlier post. This started out as a simple question; I did not mean to pick a fight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: stranded wire???? - Lew 07:58:34 12/07/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.