Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Yes, that's becomine a problem now...

I don't modify the output transformers. Early models that I purchased when I was designing my SETs would output a 12V square wave. I reduce it to 10V with a resistor on each side of the filament. The resistors provide an easy start for both the lighting transformer and the tubes. Newer models of these are different for some reason. The output is higher than 12V, and the wave shape isn't so square. It's not clear to me at this time whether I can still use them. That's why I'm looking into the standard DC-output switchers as a source of high-frequency AC. They're regulated, they're adjustable, they're filtered (the DC for the oscillator), and they operate at higher frequencies right out of the box. There's also very little difference in price between the two types, and the DC supplies can be used in the case they're designed for (no need to add the large external filter capacitor). All things considered, I think this approach holds more promise going forward.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.