Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Since parafeed is the "new kid in town"

Push-pull OPTs will work in parafeed, but usually not that well. I have done this myself, and heard a few that others have made. The main issue in my limited experience is high frequency resonances due to the distribution of capacitances. P-P transformers are designed in the expectation that the center tap will be at AC ground, whereas SET transformers assume the B+ input is at AC ground. Kind of like putting car tires on motorcycles.

Gapped transformers have much less inductance than the same windings with interleaved core laminations, but the interleaved-core inductance does vary with level and frequency. The lower inductance may limit the bass extension, but you can do a more precise calculation with a known constant inductance, and still see some of the parafeed advantages over series feed. Used in parallel feed, an airgapped transformer can handle 5-10 times as much power before running into saturation problems (low frequencies at high levels).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.