Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Q: When is Full-Wave not Full-Wave?

Q: When is Full-Wave not Full-Wave?

A: When it's a voltage doubler.

Explanation...

Below is a schematic of a full-wave voltage doubler:

Note that the output ripple frequency of this supply is 120 Hz. By definition, it's a legitimate full-wave rectifier. However, something is happening internally, a hidden downside to the design. In addition to the 2X increase in current demanded from the power transformer (compared to a standard full-wave or full-wave-wave bridge), there's a degradation in effective filter capacitance that's easy to miss.

Looking at the top of C2, there's 75uf of total capacitance (two series 150uF). If each cap has an ESR of 2 ohms, total ESR is 4 ohms. Combining the ESR with XC, the total Z across the circuit should be 18.14 Ohms. Unfortunately, this is an illusion.

Below is a SPICE plot showing output ripple voltage (Blue) and currents through C1 (Green) and C2 (Red). The ripple is indeed 120 hz, but currents through the filter capacitors aren't. Each cap only sees a 60 Hz charging current. This greatly reduces the filtering ability of these components compared to a standard rectifier/filter. Halving the frequency doubles XC. It also doubles ESR. This means the two series caps actually exhibit 8 Ohms ESR and 35.4 Ohms XC. These combine to create a total shunt Z of 36.28 Ohms, exactly twice the previous number.

None of this was apparent to me until just recently. Harman Kardon used this topology frequently in their amplifiers and receivers, and I'm rebuilding several of those. As a result of this analysis, I'll be making substantial changes to add more energy storage and to reduce ripple in all of them.

Edits: 10/15/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Q: When is Full-Wave not Full-Wave? - Triode_Kingdom 15:34:08 10/15/16 (16)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.