Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

A question about system and stage gain balance.

Many people use active preamps that may have output voltages of over 10 volts. Why make DIY amps that have 1 volt input sensitivities if you use a pre with that much gain and available voltage?
Would it not make more sense to have a balanced gain structure that could utilize more of the preamp's output?
As an easy example and ignoring personal tube preferences; if you make a 300B amp with a 6SN7 driver loaded with a CCS, you could run the driver tube at 250 V P-K from a 350V supply, 10mA and -6V on the grid. The 6SN7 has a mu of 20, most of which is available if CCS loaded, so it could easily drive the 300B grid to 80 volts with ~4 volts from the preamp. The curves still look good at these op points and there's no stress on the tubes.

Is there a downside to this approach? Is there another reason that DIY amps seem to have 1 or 2 volt input sensitivities?
The discussions I've found in searches are vague or very specific to individual amp/pre combos.

PS, I'd like to say in advance that I don't care about opinions on transformer wire size, mentors from ancient history, transfer whatever or tube types. Just the gain balance question. insert happy face here

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - A question about system and stage gain balance. - kyle 08:20:56 10/14/16 (17)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.