Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Anyone have a fave cnc shop for amp top plates? (nt)

One thing to remember when you order from Front Panel Express is that they cut the panels after they're anodized. That means all the edges of the cuts (including the outer periphery of the panel) will be raw, silver-colored aluminum. Allen Wright (RIP) used to complain about this, and it was a problem for me too. It's not acceptable to have outer edges in raw aluminum for a front panel, even if the panel is clear (silver) anodized. Raw aluminum not only oxidizes, it's extremely easy to scratch. To resolve this problem, I set up an anodizing tank in my garage a few years ago. Now most pieces I cut get this treatment immediately. Anodizing produces a much harder surface than paint, so once that's done, I don't have to worry about damaging the panels by handling them.

This all came about after a lot of thought about how to make my projects as professional as possible. Lettering is an issue, as is the ability (or in my case, inability) to shoot a coat of paint that dries hard and blemish-free. In the end, I decided CNC engraving and clear anodizing would be the most durable and straightforward methods. The engraving can be filled with any color after anodizing. FPE can do exactly the same thing for you, the only exception being the raw aluminum edges.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.