Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Raising gain on 12AU7 input tube.

I need some help to raise the gain on my Driver PCB for my VTA-120. It's the low gain board that I use all 12AU7's but there is not enough gain and I have to turn my preamp up 2x higher to get the same volume level as before.

I don't crank the system but I don't want to turn up so high on the preamp. Can I reduce the value of the Plate resistor to up the Plate voltage slightly to increase gain without causing any other issues?

The plate voltage in this PCB is suppose to see a 135Vdc but I know that can vary depending on what type of Rectifier you are using. I'm using a GZ34 right now but I do have the Weber Copper Can than WZ68 which will give more voltage than the GZ34. I will try before doing any changes in the circuit.

I was looking to increase the plate voltage to about 150-160Vdc from 135Vdc. would this solve my gain issue? I don't need a whole lot of gain like the High gain PCB did before with the 12AT7's.

Also is there a 12AU7 substitute that may have a slightly higher gain that I can plug right in?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edits: 09/27/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Raising gain on 12AU7 input tube. - Cougar 10:45:47 09/27/16 (19)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.