Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: I'm ready to go start that 845 amp build now

That's great, because I'd hate to encourage you into a build you you weren't ready for. For mine, the risk difference between 500V and 1,000 is not as great as one may think as either can kill you. Others will definitely differ on this point and I would not argue but the benefits are worth it IMO.

I know that the OP trannies are expensive but they are also critical and an amp like this deserves decent trannies. What I can attest to is that over the years there's been many an occasion to compare my 845s directly with any number of well respected and some extremely expensive amps of all kinds and nothing (other than one or two of my other SETs) has been remotely close to the clarity, authority, balance, dimensionality and sheer musicality of the 845s and that doesn't just come from me. As such, even though I know there's always better I have not felt the need to even tinker with them for many years.

Anyway, I'm glad that you are have made great progress and if and when you are ready I'm happy to help as much as I can.

Cheers,
Naz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.