Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

I'm ready to go start that 845 amp build now

Hi Naz, I just finished my Bob Latino VTA-120 kit so I finally got my little experience with building a tube amp from a kit. Now I'm ready to take on that 845 project you and I were discussion a few years back with that schematic for the 845 amps with 1000vdc. :)

I learned a lot from this build. One was to pre-clean and pre-tin all leads. I found out the hard way that the wire that was supplied was pre-tinned but it melted at a different temperature than the solder I was using so there was two cold solder joints on the heater lines going into the pcb.

I used a Chop stick to probe/poke around since the solder joints looked shinny and good. The chop stick works very well as I found the bad joints really fast without having to stick my hand in the unit since there is 500vdc. After using a magnifying glass I saw what the joint really looked like, the solder flowed nicely all around the wire but never melted together. So the VTA-120 is up and running and sound really nice.

I still have all my parts for the 845 amp build and will be looking into some output transformers for this build. These output transformers are expensive!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.