Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Anyone built or heard an Alley Oop amp?

At least that's my nick name for it. I have started going through my collection of SP magazines again like I do ever few years. Last night I was looking at issue Vol. 2, #1 and saw J.C. Morrison's article on his design for the dinosaur amp. I noticed that he advocates running the chinese 845 tubes "low and hot". Low voltage and high current. For the dinosaur he suggests operating points of 500 vdc plate volts, 88 mA plate current and -50 vdc grid volts. I am thinking I just might give that a try on the 26/26/845 I have on the bread board as the power tranny I am using can get there and I think I have caps rated high enough. Wondering if anyone has run a 845 at these operating points before? JC claims this is a good way to get great sound from the 845. It sure puts you in a linear region of the plate curves from what I can see.
Setting it up on SE amp cad it appears to be well below the max dissipation curve for the 845.
I would be interested in hearing of anyone's experiences along these lines.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Anyone built or heard an Alley Oop amp? - vinnie2 07:43:54 09/18/16 (19)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.