Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Initial Report, Film Cap 180 degree orientation - Employing new-style Clip Leads

It is possible that 5/6 were randomly the "wrong" way round, but not probable. That high a proportion suggests that there may be some other factor unaccounted for.

Could capacitor sound "deteriorate" due to current passing through in a certain direction over time? Is this part of what we hear with "break-in" - a smoothing of sonic presentation? You have not stated what the improvement with reorientation was so I won't extrapolate further.

Maybe in a few months' time you could re-test both orientations and let us know whether the the ideal orientation holds. If the caps need to be re-oriented, perhaps you could then test at ever-decreasing intervals until you have identified the ideal re-orientation time-period, for the caps you use, in your circuit. I wonder if all the caps are the same or would require different reorientation periods.

The mind boggles.

Cheers,

"Confusion of goals and perfection of means seems to characterise our age." Albert Einstein

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Initial Report, Film Cap 180 degree orientation - Employing new-style Clip Leads - 91derlust 01:03:15 08/21/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.