Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

We are saying the same thing except for one point ...

that there can be many operating points that will provide Class A operation unless max power or swing is a prerequisite.

Whilst I agree there will always be an operating area of lowest distortion, equally you could pick an area that would normally provide slightly higher distortion but achieve better overall results by making the load line more horizontal as your Sim will show. Great tool BTW!

So for clarity I'm saying that the operating point cannot be singled out in the definition of Class A because several factors dynamically interact, meaning that similar distortion characteristics can be obtained at various operating points, within the limits of swing and power we are designing for of course.

To include subjective statements like lowest distortion into the definition would be absurd. Eg, in an SE amp one of the biggest factors determining distortion is the load line so how would one determine whether an SE amp met the criteria of Class A by your expanded description?

Anyway, one thing we both agree on is that best practice should always be used in order to achieve the very best result. So I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for a civil discussion that I'm sure will be of some benefit to some others, particularly newbies.

Cheers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • We are saying the same thing except for one point ... - Naz 14:31:31 08/20/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.