Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Too many variables ...

Naz, I don't necessarily disagree with what you have said but all the examples of Class A in the books follow what you call my "particular requirement[s]".

"Throwing load lines and distortion into the mix further confuses your definition of Class A."

Loading for Class A is different than loading for Class AB.

It is my understand that the higher load impedance (to lengthen and straighten the linear part of the curve) is part of the Class A package.

From all the reading I've done, Class A is not just one thing, it's a whole package with the intent of achieving the least harmonic distortion possible (while still leaving some power in a power stage).

There is no single definition of Class A. If I had to pick one that best describes Class A it would be running the tube only in the most linear part of the curve.

I think if you disagree with that you are disagreeing with most of the technical books.

I didn't write the following;

The Radio Handbook 14th Edition page 98 "......Such an amplifier is normally operated in the center of the grid-voltage plate-current transfer characteristic and gives an output wave-shape which is a substantial replica of the input wave-shape."

The Radio Handbook 38th Edition page 65 A Class A amplifier-- "...is one operated so that the wave shape of the output voltage is the same as that of the signal voltage applied to the grid."

Tremaine Audio-Cyclopedia 2nd Edition page 523 "The quiescent plate current is selected for a value in the most linear portion of the plate-current characteristic."

Page 543 "What is a class A amplifier? An amplifier in which the grid-bias voltage is set to approximately one-half the cutoff voltage to obtain linear operation."

Page 604 "When operating as a single tube, class a, little distortion exists because the grid signal operates in the most linear portion of the dynamic characteristic."

And I didn't create the graph above.

In what way is what I'm saying out of line with the text above or the graph above?

Tre'

Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.