Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Well it is not tubes but!!!

OK it is not tube question but I trust the guys on this forum. I am building a 2/3 phase motor controller and DHT's did not seem to be in cards.

So I have some parts on the way but I need to figure out how big a power supply I need. These little sand amp are digital I think. (DC 12v-24v tpa-3116)on Ebay. They are small and a 100 watts into 2 ohms. I am going to run up to a 30 watt motor for the turntable so I am wondering what kind of current these transistors need to produce 30-100 watt output.

So the plan is power supply to step down to 12-24 DC volts. Feed the frequency gen/splitter (50 ma) then the 3 amps. Take 12-24v output from amps and step up with toroidal transformers to 120v to the motor.

I am guessing that different transistors and designs need different current but is there a ball park. For example I have a Toshiba 100-240v 1.5 amp input 15 volt 5 amp output power supply from a old laptop. Would the 5 amps be in the ball park???

Thanks Tom

P.S. On a tube note I picked up a Radiotron designer's handbook third edition hard back mint condition for 5.00 at a local book store.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Well it is not tubes but!!! - TomWh 07:00:49 08/18/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.