Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Is running DHT's in H plane Ok ?

Hi Johno,

Well, the driver tube is a 12AX7, so that can go any way, The Type 45 ST tube, IF it does develop a problem, can be replaced for $30.00 or less on eBay, if one is careful and patient. Last week, I bought one 45 ST, tested at 79 on a TV-7 ( 82 is new ) and it was about $25 with shipping.

What concerns me the most now is owning an amp where the film caps are not optimized, in two areas:

(1) Their 180 degree orientation, as to how they were wound, and thus sound different, with each orientation

(2) The cap's OPTIMUM lead out material, in terms of AWG, and wire type, so as not to lose energy, dynamics, and wide bandwidth.

I figure this Johno, I can always replace a 45 ST tube, but the cap being optimized or not in the amp, is a permanent degrade or enhancement. Addressing that is up to the listener / user of the amp.

I am most curious to hear what happens once I try to optimize the film caps in the amp, and the overall listening result on my VOTTs !!

I TRIED out the Mueller BU-60C all copper alligator clips yesterday, ( Alpha Al's suggestion ) and used Mueller's ( entire clip ) insulators, BU-62-0 and 62-2 and was able to easily hear their superiority over the cheapo alligators I was initially using. Ordered more Mueller parts from Mouser today, so I can do this A-B work less impeded.

Fun.

Jeff

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.