Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Jeff, what a load of bull!!!

I record music, live acoustic concerts, including orchestras.

I always make a copy of the edited file - before I 'normalise it' for broadcast so I can bring it home to listen to.

I became a cathedral chorister within the Anglican tradition at age nine and passed to became a leader when I was just just eleven. The focus for me under that job was to be placed at the altar end of the Decani (or firsts) on the Dean's side of the Sanctuary. There were 15 boys in teh Decani. My job was to ensure that the boys back from there to the Head Chorister down nearest the pulpit all came in together with the HC, in time.

The Choirmaster and organist had told me that I had true perfect (IE natural) pitch and was very good at timing, hence the job. There were three other leaders already in that 14. I was not popular - with two of them.

I bi-amplify with two matching (enriched A) Class AB1 amplifiers - rebuilt / modified LEAK St20s with very big RC/C/C+C and just bleeder R PSUs. Into easy load efficient speakers. the PSUS in there are working a LOT harder in response to the signal than a flea-watt SET's PSU ever will. SS SR diodes instead of a GZ34.

I have NEVER heard anything but perfect rendition of the timing I heard in the concerts. And, all the timing errors and the pitch inaccuracies (including relative pitch) all the errors over which I winced through my ears alone, while I listened and watched the meters bounce. The amps are VERY quiet as tube amps go.

Except with very large forces and very loud peaks I don't find any distortion of the original peak dynamics either.

Time/phase and frequency (pitch) are orthogonal, Jeff. Do you know how BIG a flaw you are claiming exists - musically - in typical PSUs, let alone high storage ones? If it were true, the sound would be obviously flawed in pitch and relative pitch and timing ALL the time. And it just isn't.

So, why don't you stop boring us to death with your imaginings.

I'll stay with what Nelson Pass tells me about storage, mate.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

Edits: 03/04/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Jeff, what a load of bull!!! - Timbo in Oz 23:05:35 03/04/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.