Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Eric Barbour's Brute force regulator mods

I've had the regs in my amps, line stage and phono pre for over two years. There are some considerations you need to be aware of if you decide to install. If the heat sink the shunt FET is mounted on is not able to safely dissipate all the heat generated with zero load (all current from CCS is shunted) it will fail. So, no operating the PS without tubes. If a tube fails, ditto. Kevin's version of the Salas reg. uses a small reference CCS (~1mA) in series with a resistor to derive the reference voltage. The version that he sells with the kit uses a JFET as a 2 terminal CCS and a trim pot so that the reg. voltage is adjustable. There is a temperature coefficient at play here. The adjustment needs to be done when the amp has reached thermal equilibrium. At start up the voltage will be lower and then rise to the reg. setting. The driver stage of my amp with a reg. voltage of ~430V had a +- 20V swing with a 20 degree change of ambient temperature (60-90degrees). That said, the regulators that I am now using have a more sophisticated zero tempco cascode reference CCS and a fixed resistor. They come up to voltage within 30s and stay put. Kevin doesn't sell them this way because he believes DIYers want the adjustability and he doesn't want to stock a bazillion Rset resistors. Unless you have direct coupled stages where tight control of voltage is crucial, having the voltage drift a little probably is not a big deal. I did have a reg. fail on the input stage of my power amp once when a tube went whockey (small heat sink). It was easy to fix. Hope this helps you decision. I do have 11 of these throughout my system. Adding them improved sound staging, front to back separation, back ground silence and speech intelligibility. Adding them to the driver stage of my power amps noticeably improved bass definition.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool, then speak and remove all doubt." A. Lincoln

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Eric Barbour's Brute force regulator mods - JKT 10:13:13 02/25/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.