Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Hum problem solved thanks to Dr. Mikey Samra

I recently changed a few resistors in my Lafayette KT-550. The amp is nearly 50 years old and I have been slowly upgrading the parts over the past year. After changing the resistors, I noticed the left channel had a low level 60 hz hum. I could not figure out what caused the issue, so I contacted resident tube amp expert Mike Samra.

On our phone call, we went thru the a process of elimination to isolate the problem. Tubes were fine. Caps were fine. Transformers and grounding was fine. Then, out of nowhere, the culprit was discovered: an old wire had broken in half. This was a wire in the feedback circuitry.

Interestingly, one of the first things that Mike suspected was the feedback circuit. I told him it was all good, but in the end, I did not noticed the broken wire. This was is probably 50 years old and needs to be replaced. I'll get there soon.

Thanks again to Mikey for the help and watch out for the old wire.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Hum problem solved thanks to Dr. Mikey Samra - banpuku 06:09:26 01/30/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.