Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Stepped Potentiometer

Plan 'B' would be to do something like:
Turn amp gains DOWN, Way Down. All of 'em.
Turn gain UP on preamp to about '2pm'. This assumes it is a 300 degree pot, which would go from 7 clockwise around to 5.
Turn gain UP on the amps until it is as loud as you can stand.
Gain on preamp will now be fine and within normal range.
Pull cover on amps and MEASURE the potentiometer. It is a 100k pot, per Richard at Parasound. Measure ALL FOUR channels. Take an average and find the nearest standard 1/4 watt resistor values which add to 100k. That is the replacement for the pot which will yield MAX gain in my system / speakers. With a little left over, just in case.
Richard said (not direct quote = paraphrase) that it was just possible the resistor solution would sound somewhat better than the potentiometer as issued. Even so-called hi-end resistors are commodity cheap. I need a total of 8 of 'em and not even any interconnect wire.

I understand that the Passive Crowd can get passionate about that approach. However, my P5 does quite a few things quite well. Tone controls for use LATE at night to provide a sort-of loudness contour. MM/MC phono input. Bass Mangement w/sub output. The ability to drive 8 foot cables TO the amps. (amps located behind each speaker, w/only 3feet of speaker cable)
and so on.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Stepped Potentiometer - pictureguy 00:08:00 08/14/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.