Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Summertime Blahs

Thanks to DeathTubess pestering I have been measuring amps with ARTA and STEPs and tweaking feedback loops in a few amps.

major breakthrough here for me. quite exciting!

I recently had a failure of my 2a3 amp after reinstalling the 12ax7 and I've benched the thing while I figure out what to do next.

When I fished the big fulton power cord in to connect it to the primary 120 connection on the power transformer I managed to damage the jacket on the secondary wiring.. after some time I blew a fuse and ended up with a dead short. So the power transformer and the amp is sitting in a pile.

just prior to that I had reduced distortion from 5% at one watt to ~ 1.5%, just from changing from Hammond 1628SE to Magnequest DS-025. No other changes.

Again, measuring with ARTA, major breakthrough.

Last night I tried several different screen supplies, last of which was a low resistance choke after my B+ supply.. similar to the recomendations in your old JLH docs (jeff), and found a .02% decrease in distortion vs tying to the last cap in the B+.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Summertime Blahs - rage 13:46:38 07/24/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.