Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Voices are just so real

Vocals through the latter were so lifelike it was scary; I frequently thought someone else was in the house..."

Well, my point wasn't about being literally scary, though it actually is pretty lifelike. What I mean is that the vocals go beyond mere words - like they talk TO you. You pick up the inflections, the breathing, whatever makes language come alive. It's subtle but it's more than subtle because it actually makes a big difference. I've no idea if I'm making the point clear here. If I A-B the SE and PP amps the difference in emotional impact is obvious, though in other respects the sound is quite close. It's the difference between words and meaning. Once you hear it it's like a drug - it's addictive.

Also backing vocals just float in the air. I listen to voices when I go to bed - the hifi is in my writing room/bedroom - and I fall asleep to voices. I listen to a lot of modern Gospel - Kim Burrell, Dorinda Clark-Cole, Committed etc. I'm not religious as such though my grandfather was a preacher. I just dig the voices. I'm a jazz musician (bass and piano) and used to do a lot of gigs with singers. I listen to a lot of jazz singers as well, plus a lot of opera, Bach Cantatas etc.

I'm sure other guys hear this because I've often seen posts about uncanny voices with 300b SETs. My speakers are full range single unit Mark Audio Alpair 10s. So no crossover at all. I'd use ribbons if I had more space - I used to use Apogee Caliper Sigs. until one day I decided I'd like to see out the window.

Andy

Edits: 09/09/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.