Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Not my amp schematic, someone elses....

The amp schematic I posted was one built by Kegger on AK. Its one of his personal amps he uses. He sent me the schematic of his finished amp which he likes the sound of very well, so this is not something I designed.
I don't know that I'll make any changes in the amp section, but the power supply looked .....let's say, not right. Maybe a bit too big and slow (compared to the vintage stuff I'd been rebuilding). I know there is a wealth of collective experiential knowledge here and since I don't know what I'm doing, but know what I want to hear, I thought 'why not post?'. Heck, I don't really prefer tube rectification. Some Schottky diodes might do the job better.
I'm not a builder or designer. When it comes to that I'm a total newbie, so that's why I came to this forum. I don't mind trying ideas out and taking time to get it right. My ears will tell me if things are right or not.
I bought a set of 1978 Klipschorns and everyone was telling me how great they were. I did not like them. Too harsh, even after replacing the crossover caps. Sold 'em. Got a set of Von Schweikerts now. Seller told me how great they were. I didn't like them at first, but after rebuilding the crossover I love them. So I'm not an opinion follower, except for my own and that is derived from my own ears.

This 6AV5 amp should put out around 12-15 WPC according to Kegger which is a bit more than the 8.5 WPC single-ended amp I'm using with the VS speakers now. I want a little more power than 8.5 watts for these speakers. You'd recommended to use the Hammond 372 series PT. Does it put out enough B+ voltage as is needed for this amp? I'd like to overbuild a bit and not have things run too hot.

Larry D.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Not my amp schematic, someone elses.... - lektrik 10:30:34 06/20/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.