Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Wow, strangely how we're converging to these things now. Deja vu all over again!

Speaking for myself only, I have to admit that my preference for a tube input is only based on my preference for tubes vs solid state, in general, and my bias that voltage gain stages are therefore best implemented with tubes. I don't much care about "damping factor" per se, because I use full-range ESL speakers, and ESL speakers do not generate significant back EMF that needs to be countered by amplifier damping. However, a transistor output stage might be advantageous in relation to size, heat generated, and, yes, low output impedance without the need for output coupling transformers. (I have always used OTL tube amps, where output Z is always sort of an issue and where there is no substitute for lots of output tubes to generate sufficient power and reasonably acceptable output Z.) Since the output stage, as I understand it, adds little in the way of gain, solid state devices would be acceptable as a substitute for an OTL tube output stage. Plus, I have always liked Moscode amps and those hybrid Counterpoint amps can sound good as well, athough I have not heard one in 20 years, probably. I know there have been products that do it the other way around: ss input with tube output, but that seems back asswards to me, given my biases and intended use.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Wow, strangely how we're converging to these things now. Deja vu all over again! - Lew 10:43:19 04/05/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.