Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Well.......................

.......the best sounding amp should be 2A3 SE not PP type if 2A3 is the choice. Why 2A3 in PP? It doesn't have much power in PP. Anything under 10W, we can go for SE type with low power tube if crossover distortion is concerned, that's why low powered SE is getting popular since early 90s!! I love the sound of 45SE with Hedlund horn, well....2A3...sounds good but not my cup of tea, both PX25 and 45 are my favorite!!

They all different between DHT and pentode, EL34 in triode is completely different animal. It has nothing called "best or worst" in audio, just a matter of taste. I have big reference system, also horn type and panel, electrostatics, even hybrid, the more I own, the more I know they all have its own limitation. Unlike yesteryear, I respect all designs today. I hated SS one time even I hated the ss amp used to own in my reference system for couple year. Then I gave up and go for tube gear for many years..... and told everyone sands amp no good!!

Until one day I hoop up to proper speaker with those SS, WOW!! this is incredible....... Then I understand, no tube amp can able to drive a speaker seek for current, like Shahinian, Dynaudio...etc.

Are you listening to all different combo under the sun? I guess not, me either. I have many loudspeakers at home, a truly big reference system to Quad electrostatic, and even bookshelf type. I truly respect to all type of design today

I like transistor amplifier but tube SE or PP type as well. Depends on what speaker you hook it up.....lots of factor affect the sound. I doubt it 2A3 PP has the power like the well made EL34PP, the midrange characteristics are totally different. The 2A3 PP might work on your speaker, however, do you own the speaker that another fellow going to have the EL34 in triode and sounding really great??

I agree with U Schottky diode it good, and Mercury is good, 274B also good, they all good, depends on what circuit of tube type you work on. My friend and I work on a tube amp that constructed with graphite plate, then the chosen cap, rectifier and parts selection is totally different than the one made of metal/ nickel plate...Synergy is the right answer to audio. It's ALL DEPENDS!!

I won't compare a ML against a Bedini or ARC vs Jadis. It's matter of taste. Some even says Sakuma design had no bandwidth are sucks, however, if listen to multi e-xover system with Sakuma stuffs, this is different type of audio experience.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.