Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Hi ! It's not difficult at all; just tedious work; after reading over and over...

It can take a long time for the light bulb to be fully lit concerning electronics. Sometimes, the technical theory simply requires memory to "move on" and understand further. As a great example, current flow theory is often taught as passing from positive to negative, or vice versa. In order to work with high current carrying voltages safely, understanding the flow is much less important than remembering not to get any part of your body in the way of any possible current flow, in order to reduce shocks...
You are very welcome !

With EQ circuits, only via studying and rereading, again and again, will the filtering/boosting be comprehended. Seeing a wide variety of circuits, they actually start looking similar. While many peers might believe tweaking cap and R values is confusing, I believe that if you can trust your ears, simple value changing is extremely enlightening. In fact, simply changing the type of EQ capacitor can be ear opening; say ceramic to silver mica or polystyrene.

You are correct that the second 330K to ground is the 6CG7 grid leak R. In many passive preamps, this grid leak value is even higher. For instant satisfaction, simply install a 3300 pf across that 33K R in each channel's EQ pole. Then, later you can upgrade or change at will, after a bit of research. I assure you that the many circuits really do start appearing similar. Remember that the type of EQ cap installed or reinstalled will probably startle your ears. After a bit of break-in time for new parts, your ears will easily tell you whether that circuit prefers silver mica or polystyrene caps. Enjoy the ride and happy listening...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.