Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Passive EQ phono stage RIAA question.

Your circuit has a slight error, causing the lack of bass boost. You have a 330K resistor across the 33K resistor. Change that 330K R to a 3300 pf cap for a quick fix. The resistors can be tweaked, as well, but, this 3300 pf cap will quickly yield the required bass...

Concerning the required RIAA treble deemphasis, if your circuit does not satisfy your ears and you want more high frequency cut, you can add another EQ filter pole to ground after this network.

Research the passive phono EQ published circuits beginning circa early 1950s. RIAA was standardized in 1954. Many, many passive EQ circuits have been implemented with 6SL7s since then. Many are available online. In my lower post to this thread, I gave the link to the JE Labs site. Joe's mono playback system has many virtues. His design topology can easily be implemented as dual mono stereo preamp stages. By using separate power supplies for each stage as well as each channel, ultimate detail and stereo separation with amazing soundstage effects can be achieved.

While I am a bigger fan of active feedback phono EQ, made popular in the early stereo era, I do know more than a few folks that have implemented the passive EQ to their satisfaction. Happy tunes await you; so, ENJOY !

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.