Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Low DCR versus higher inductance chokes

Hi Thomas!

One great thing about what you did is that 1uf cap. You have most of the energy storage in the iron, and the small cap can be chosen among the worlds best caps. You wouldn't use that small a cap unless you had the large inductance.

Why can't this work? It CAN! Congratulations. You're thinking out of the box.

This isn't low-DCR, BUT the iron chokes store power-- lots of it. You are not suffering from too much time delay either, because the cap is so small. I think this is brilliant. If you now choose a low-loss path in the amp circuitry AFTER the last choke and small cap, you're there!

I argue against storing too much power-- in any capacitor that I can't buy in world-class quality, and I argue against placing a lot of resistance in the way of power paths..

In this case, if the sizing of the power transformer and associated chokes is optimum, you have largely negated the effects of high-DCR in the chokes. Since the cap is so small, energy can be delivered into circuit demand instead of unnecessary capacitor charging.

Tell me more about the Munich show. Munich is a great town. I'd like to know your experiences in Munich.

Are you able to attend Denvers RMAF 2008? I'll be there in Room 2020. This is in Denvers Marriott Tech Center Oct. 10, 11, and 12.

I would really like to meet you.

---Dennis---

Edits: 10/06/08 10/06/08

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.