Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Low DCR versus higher inductance chokes

Hi Paul,

If there is one thing I learned in amplifier building, then it's that more than one road lead to Rome. You just need to find the one you like best. The only way to find your road is by trying it out yourself.

Some of my friends and myself hosted an audio event last weekend in Munich. I built an SE801A amp for that. It was about 1.5W and used power supply chokes with 680 Ohms (!) and tens of Henries . This together with a final cap of 1uF (!!!). As you can see I tend to like very high inductance chokes and very low value caps lately.

We had about 30 people listening to that amp and there was not a single complaint about it. Quite the contrary. The amp got a lot of compliments for it's extreme resulution and life like sound, especially for the energy it revealed in piano recordings. People were surprised about it's low wattage rating. It was able to effortlessly fill the (not so small) room with sound. Speakers were in the 100dB range.

So I'd say go and give various approaches a try. Stick with what you like best. Trust your own jusgement.

Thomas

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.